I’ve decided to take it easy today and tomorrow. I’ve had shin splints since last Thursday and have been running through them ever since. I knew my old shoes were becoming a problem when my shins started acting up. I calculated I had run around 300+ miles in them since February. And even though I got new shoes and feel better running, I still have some residual pain. I also have to keep in mind I need to start decreasing my weekly mileage since my taper is approaching next week (RnR SD on June 2). However, I’ve been running pretty much every day since I haven’t had training and I haven’t had much else to do. So from Sunday to Wednesday I’ve done 4, 8, 6, 4, respectively, resulting in 22 miles with 4 miles still planned for Saturday (I calculate my weeks Sunday to Saturday). So since I’ll be resting today (and most likely shopping for my race outfit 😉 ) I’ll leave you with another something I do best…baking!
This blog should really be called “Donuts & Smoothies” or “The Breakfast Club” because everything I have been making of late has been in this category. I slightly tweaked this mini-muffin recipe from Running to the Kitchen, and then thought it would be fun to make them in my roommates donut molds (thanks London)! They turned out so cute, and are so delicious warmed up with some almond butter and honey.
Baby Banana Chia Macadamia Donuts
Adapted from Running to the Kitchen
¾ cup almond meal
2 tablespoons coconut flour
2 tablespoons chia seeds
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 large ripe banana, mashed
1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons canned light coconut milk
¼ cup chopped macadamia nuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a mini-muffin pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond meal, coconut flour, chia seeds, cinnamon, salt and baking soda.
- Whisk together the banana, egg, coconut oil and coconut milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.
- Mix in the nuts until evenly distributed.
- Spoon batter into mini-donut pan (about 1/2 Tbsp. for each donut) and bake for about 15 minutes until tops start to turn golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Makes12 mini donuts and 3 regular sized donuts.