As of late, acai bowls have been my go-to to-go breakfast. However, today’s bowl…not so good. I don’t know how, but it’s lumpy and has the consistency of cottage cheese…ew? This has just made me start thinking about making my own again. It’s super easy to do, and here’s how:
1 acai puree packet (found at health food stores such as Sprouts and Whole Foods)
1 medium frozen banana
1/4-1/2 cup liquid (e.g. apple juice, soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk)
toppings of your choice (e.g. sliced banana, berries, granola, shaved coconut, bee pollen, honey, etc.)
- Put acai puree, frozen banana and liquid of your choice in a blender. Blend until desired consistency.
- Option to add more or less liquid to your likening.
- Top with your ingredients of choice.
- high in antioxidants
- hosts free-radical and age-fighting powers
- ORAC level (Oxygen Radical Absorbance Capacity) over 3,500 (hundreds of times higher than your average fruits)
- more protein than an egg
- high in omega 3, 6 and 9 fatty acids (improves the look and texture of your hair, skin and nails)
Benefits of making your own:
- make it how you want
- control the amount of sugar used (less juice, and/or less blended fruit)
- control the consistency (thicker, runnier, etc.)
- blend in your favorite fruit for different flavors
- top with your favorite ingredients