Hi everyone, today I want to introduce a friend from my hometown, Christian, who has taken great strides into taking his health and fitness into his own hands. For over a year now, he has been vegan and gluten free. Originally, this started out as a journey for health purposes, but through this he has gained a deeper conscience and awareness for life. Currently, he has been training towards vegan bodybuilding, which I find so interesting because this sport usually touts a primarily animal-based diet. Today he is sharing a vegan recipe that he has been using during his bulking phase. It’s low-fat, oil-free, gluten-free cookie, with a little extra protein in it too.
Protein Power Cookies
2 cups gluten-free rolled oats
4 tablespoons chia seeds
2 bananas, mashed
3/4 cooked quinoa
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup water/almond milk/coconut milk
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
3-4 tablespoons of coconut palm sugar
3/4 cup dried fruit, diced (raisins, figs, apricots, berries, etc., or chocolate chips too)
1 cup gluten-free flour (Bob’s Red Mill- also available in bulk at Whole Foods)
a pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F and line cookie pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix dry ingredients (except chia seeds) together.
- In a separate bowl, combine chia seeds, mashed bananas, quinoa, and water/milk. Mix well.
- Then combine dry and wet mixtures together and stir until batter reaches a dough-like consistency.
- Scoop batter into golf ball-sized nuggets and place on baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
For more of his great recipes, make sure to check out his instagram @cgadventure. And stay tuned for some insight by Christian on achieving your goals while keeping in mind “perspective and the self.”