I must say, I’m on a roll with Sunday night cooking! Last Sunday was this stuffed acorn squash, and this Sunday I made a fragrant dish that made the whole house smell like apple-picking season. This dish ended up being a one-pot wonder. I prepped the marinade and chicken in the morning, and then chopped the apples and potatoes right before I tossed it in the oven for an easy 75 minutes.
What’s your favorite recipe right now?
I need some suggestions to keep this cooking momentum going!
Apple Cider Baked Chicken
Adapted from Gimme Some Oven
1 white onion, peeled and cut into eighths
1 large lemon, sliced into thin rounds
2 cups apple cider, homemade or store-bought
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
12 chicken drumsticks
2 large apples, each sliced into eighths
2 lbs. small, red and Yukon Gold potatoes, sliced into eighths
- Place a gallon size heavy-duty ziplock bag into a large bowl. Place the onion, lemon, apple cider, EVOO, thyme, ACV, Dijon, garlic, bay leaves, S&P, into the ziplock bag, combining well.
Add the chicken to the marinade. Close the bag, place in the refrigerator to marinate for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange the chicken pieces in a large roasting pan. *Note: I divided mine between a 9×13 pan and a deep covered skillet.
- Pour all of the marinade, including onions and lemons over and around the pieces.
Place the apples and potatoes around the chicken.
- Cover and cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, flipping the chicken once halfway through.
- For the last 5 minutes, remove the cover and broil on high.
- Remove from heat and let rest. Serve warm.