This Healthy Rice “Bowl” is brought to you by another Sunday night cooking sesh. It kind of reminded me of a Chipotle burrito bowl, but not quite Mexican. It was also healthier than a burrito bowl, partially because at Chipotle I can’t help myself but to eat the whole thing. #ChipotleProbz.
Healthy Rice “Bowl”
Inspired by Half Baked Harvest
1 1/2 red peppers, sliced
1 zucchini, sliced into 1/4 inch rounds
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup brown basmati rice
2 cups water
2 cups arugula
1 lb chicken tenders
1/2 Tbsp. old bay spice
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 avocado, mashed very well
Juice of lemon, divided
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Toss the sliced red peppers and zucchini in the olive oil. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Using a rice cooker, make the rice (rice and water). Cook for about 20 minutes. When complete, turn off the cooker and add the juice of 1/2 lemon. Stir in the arugula until it wilts.
- In the meantime, season the chicken with Old Bay Seasoning, salt and pepper. Using a George Foreman Grill (or even regular grill), cook for 4 minutes.
- Separately, in a small bowl, mash the avocado. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- To assemble the “bowls,” divide the rice among 2 bowls or plates. Top each portion of rice with equal amounts of chicken, grilled peppers and zucchini. Add scoop of the avocados and then add the fresh tomatoes and walnuts. Serve warm.
Also, the winner of the Larabar Giveaway is Brienne P for following @asheejojo on Twitter! Please email me at email@example.com.