Today’s a busy day for me, so I’ll keep it short and sweet. NEWS FLASH: DIY girl has come out of the cave. It finally hit me that I didn’t have to buy all of my Christmas presents, I could make some! So I put together this “keep warm kit,” that is simple, sweet, and has the ability to be personalized through selecting a unique mug for every recipient. Enjoy!
Are you doing any DIY gifts this year?
Homemade Mexican Hot Cocoa Mix
From Yours Is The Earth
Makes one 16 oz. mason jar (equivalent to 4 cups/servings of cocoa)
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup of sugar (mixed with 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract)
½ tsp of salt
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
A dash of cayenne
1/2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate chips
Approximately 1 cup large marshmallows
- In a medium-sized bowl, whisk together the cocoa powder, vanilla sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and chopped semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Pour into your 16 oz mason jar.
- Top with the marshmallows (used to fill the space at the top of the jar).
How to enjoy the cocoa (one serving):
- Set marshmallows aside.
- Scoop ¼ of the mix into a mug.
- Warm up 1 cup of milk (cows, almond, coconut – your choice).
- Pour over the mix and stir.
- Top with a marshmallow (or two) and enjoy!
- 16 oz mason jar
- Cute coffee mug (I got a variety from Anthropologie)
- For the labels: kraft paper, black ink pad and rubber letter stamps (I got my set from Michael’s for $1.50).
- For the instructions: Scrapbooking paper (in kraft paper color) and printer.
- For the accessories: baker’s twine and paper straws from Michael’s.