So yesterday’s Sunday meal prep kind of falls in line with my meatless Monday. Everything for the week, breakfast through late-afternoon snack, is either vegan or vegetarian.
On the menu for this week:
1. Breakfast tacos (+ a green smoothie)
2. Oatmeal bake (recipe coming this week)
3. Oh She Glows “The Big Vegan Bowl”
4. Banana and almond butter
5. Dinner (tbd)
6. “Dessert” smoothie
My goal for this week is kinda different, but it’s to eat more. Even though I feel like I eat a lot, and a lot more than the average person, it’s still not enough for my activity level. For example, today I’ll go to yoga sculpt and then run 6 miles. I learned yesterday from the yoga teacher that any of his class burn upwards of 600 calories. Add on another ~100 calories for every mile I run, and I’ve burned around 1200 calories for the day. So when I only eat 1500-1800 calories, I’m basically subsisting on 300-600 calories. When you don’t get enough calories in to counter-balance the amount of calories out, your body goes into starvation mode and your metabolism slows to a crawl. So while I’ve been working out a lot and eating clean, I feel like I’ve hit a plateau. This could potentially be from my body going into starvation mode and clinging on to everything it can.
So I have nothing to lose by adding more high-quality, nutrient dense foods. And while it’s hard to actually eat a lot of calories when you’re eating this kind of food (try eating 2 cups of broccoli and tell me you don’t feel like it’s going to start coming out of your ears!) I’m going to try supplementing meals with smoothies and continue eating real food snacks.
1/4 cup black beans
1/4 cup frozen grilled bell peppers, thawed (from Trader Joe’s)
2 nopales tortillas
- Preheat pan over medium heat. Whisk together 1 egg with yolk and 3 egg whites (discard yolks).
- Spray pan with cooking spray and pour out the egg mixture.
- Let it sit until golden brown and completely set (~3 minutes). Flip and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from heat and cut egg omelet in half.
- Assemble each taco with one tortilla, 1/2 egg omelet, 1/8 cup black beans, 1/8 cup bell peppers.
The Big Vegan Bowl
From Oh She Glows (with slight alterations)
INGREDIENTS (for each bowl):
1 1/2 cups kale
1/2 cup cruciferous green blend (from Trader Joe’s)
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
1/3 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup roasted chickpeas
1/2 cup roasted japanese yam (or sweet potatoes)
1/4 avocado, sliced
2 Tbsp. eggplant hummus
1/2 Tbsp. hemp hearts
- Assemble the bowl with the ingredients listed above. For directions on roasting chickpeas and/or sweet potatoes/yams, see Oh She Glows.