Originally, I made this for our running club potluck last Saturday. Amidst the other amazing brunch dishes, I didn’t really know how I felt about it. But it was super easy to throw together (a lot easier than I thought because I was kinda dreading baking), so I decided to add it to my weekly meal prep for breakfast/a morning snack.
Apple Cinnamon Baked Oatmeal
Adapted from Family Fresh Cooking
2 cups Coach’s Oats (or regular rolled oats)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened Applesauce
3 cups almond milk
13.5 oz can of unsweetened Light Coconut Milk
1 large fuji apple, diced
2 Tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
Toppings: 1 fuji apple (thinly sliced), pomegranate flavored craisins and chopped pecans
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients (oats, salt, baking powder and cinnamon) in a large bowl.
- Pour in applesauce and all milks. Add apples and sugar (if using).
- Let the mixture sit to absorb some liquid for 10-15 minutes. Set the toppings aside.
- Put the oatmeal mixture in the baking dish (I divided the mixture into two round casserole dishes).
- Bake for about 45 minutes. The oatmeal might appear not done when you take it out of the oven. Remove from the oven and let it cool to room temperature.
- Top with toppings of your choice.
- Put it in the refrigerator overnight for best results. It will thicken nicely in there.
- To serve, cut and re-heat as needed.