THROWBACK THURSDAY: This recipe is from approximately 9 weeks ago. So…enjoy!
Spaghetti Squash with Homemade Pesto,
1 cup fresh basil leaves
1/2 cup baby spinach
1/2 Tbsp dried sage
Juice and zest of half a lemon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1/2 large spaghetti squash
1 cup ground turkey with italian seasoning, cooked as directed
2 cups arugula
2 bocconcini (“bite-size” mozzarella balls)
8 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- To make the pesto, add the basil, spinach, and dried sage in a food processor and pulse until chopped.
- Add the lemon zest and juice, salt, black pepper, and 2 Tbsp of the oil.
- Process until a paste forms. If the pesto is too dry add more oil until the desired consistency is reached.
- Pierce the skin of the spaghetti squash all over with a fork. Cut off the two ends. Place the squash on a plate and put in the microwave for 8 minutes.
- Once the squash is done cooking, allow to cool slightly before cutting in half. Remove the seeds from one half* and shred the noodles with a fork. (*Reserve the second half for a different recipe, or double the pesto recipe)
- Toss spaghetti squash “noodles” with the pesto.
- Arrange each dish with 2 cups of pesto “noodles,” 1/2 cup ground turkey, 1 cup arugula, 1 bocconcini, and 4 cherry tomatoes.