THROWBACK THURSDAY: This salad was inspired by the Mediterranean Chicken Salad from Luna Grill that Andy and I had back in March. And what do you know, I made this in a timely manner, March 21st to be exact. Too bad it took me until basically June to post it!
I love the texture of Israeli couscous! Seriously, it’s THE BEST. Total party in your mouth. If you’ve never had it, pick up a box the next time you’re at Trader Joe’s (that’s where I get mine) and try making this salad!
1 tbsp. Italian parsley, chopped
- Cook couscous according to directions. In the meantime, prepare the tomatoes, cucumber, mint and parsley.
- When couscous is done, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- Stir in tomatoes, cucumbers and herbs. Toss with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil.
- To plate, make a bed of butter leaf lettuce and top with 1 cup (or desired amount) of couscous mixture.
- Surround with poached chicken (see recipe below).
1 bay leaf
- Place chicken breasts in a single layer on the bottom of a medium pot. Cover chicken with broth, and add herbs and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil, then quickly reduce heat to low so that the liquid is barely at a simmer.
- Partially cover and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Turn off heat completely, and allow chicken to remain in hot liquid for 15-20 minutes.
- Slice or shred chicken.