My biggest thing for Sunday was to cook carnitas…and to sit at the beach all the while it was happening 😛 I found this recipe via Pinch of Yum, and besides looking absolutely delicious, I had all of spices in my ever-expanding spice cupboard. This meat is so flavorful and is the perfect dish to “meal prep” and use for the whole week!
Easy Crockpot Carnitas
Slightly modified from Pinch of Yum
7-8 lbs. pork shoulder
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon cumin, plus a little extra
1 teaspoon chili chipotle ground
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice of 2 limes
1/2 cup orange juice
12 ounces beer, I used Stone Go-To IPA
1/2 cup salsa, mild and chunky
Brown sugar, to taste
- Place the pork shoulder in the slow cooker. Rub the garlic on the meat.
- Sprinkle the meat with salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne. Rub seasonings onto the pork.
- Add lime juice, orange juice, beer, and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the meat from the crockpot and shred with two forks.
- Preheat broiler. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the shredded meat on the cooking sheet and pour a few spoonfuls of sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle with additional cumin and brown sugar to create a caramelized effect in the broiler.
- Broil for 5-10 minutes or until you get browned edges on the pork.
- Serve on tortillas with fresh cilantro, avocado, and lime juice.