On Saturday, after our 12.5 mile run, Elisa and I linked back up for an afternoon of baking. She — a pumpkin pie for her friends giving, and me — a recipe utilizing her overabundance of persimmons. We found this recipe for Ginger Persimmon bread. Although her persimmons were Fuyu and not Hachiya, and not the type recommended for baking, this recipe still turned out great. We decided to make these as muffins for portability and sharing reasons.
Persimmon Spice Muffins
Adapted from Joy The Baker
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 tsp. salt
2 large Fuyu persimmons
1 tsp. baking soda
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/3 cup water
- Place a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat to 375 degrees F.
- Line a muffin tin and set aside.
- Peel persimmons and puree in a food processor. Reserve 1/2 cup of this persimmon puree.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together persimmon puree and baking soda. This will thicken the
- In a medium bowl whisk together sugar, oil, eggs, spices, and water.
- Once well incorporated, whisk in the persimmon mixture.
- Pour the wet ingredients, all at once, into the dry ingredients. Fold to incorporate.
- Once no flour remains, evenly distribute into the muffin tins and place in the oven.
Bake muffins for 20-25 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the muffins comes out clean. Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes.
- Serve with butter or almond butter