For Deb’s birthday, she dreamed of a rainbow layer cake. So I came up with this cake and then transported it all the way down to Mexico. My process of baking it earlier in the week (to avoid any stress – cakes take a lot of time!), cooling, freezing and thawing the cake lent itself to the most dense, moist and delicious cake ever.
4-Layer Rainbow Coconut Cake
Coconut cake adapted from Homemade Interest
2 box White cake mix
16 oz sour cream
1/2 c Vegetable oil
2 cups coconut cream (I used the cream on top of full fat canned coconut milk. ~2 cans)
2 containers of store-bought cream cheese frosting
Sweetened shredded coconut
Cake topper from Amazon
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Mix cake mix, sour cream, vegetable oil, eggs, and cream of coconut in a large bowl.
- Separate batter evenly into 4 different bowls. Add desired food coloring to each respective bowl.
- Pour cake batter of first 2 layers into 2 9” pans that have been greased.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes at 350°F or until you can put a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
- Repeat with remaining 2 layers.
- Cool all layers completely at room temperature (~12 hours).
- Freeze overnight. Remove from freezer and let thaw in refrigerator.
- When ready to serve, spread cream cheese frosting between each layer and around exterior of cake.
- Completely top with sweetened coconut flakes.