2 boxes Devil’s Food cake mix
2-1/2 cups water
1 cup vegetable oil
Black food coloring
2 containers of store-bought buttercream frosting
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Make cake according to the directions.
- Pour cake batter of first 2 layers into 2 9” pans that have been greased. Sprinkle with star sprinkles.
- Bake approximately 30 minutes at 350°F or until you can put a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean.
- Repeat with remaining 2 layers.
- Cool all layers completely at room temperature (~12 hours).
- Level with cake leveler and discard one layer (or reserve, but you do not need it. I always bake 4 layers and pick the best 3).
- When ready to serve, spread frosting between each layer. Top with glacé icing (below).
From Whisk and Wander
2 pounds confectioners’ sugar, no need to sift
1/4-3/4 cup water, room temp
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Blue, red and black food coloring
Silver pixie dust (optional)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment add confectioners’ sugar.
- With mixer on low speed slowly add water to sugar a little at a time until icing is spreadable but not too thin.
- Mix until all sugar is dissolved and icing looks smooth. About 4 minutes. Scraping sides as necessary.
- Slowly add food coloring and swirl with fork. I started with a couple drops of blue, a few red (to create purple) and a tiny hint of black. Swirly gently to create the galaxy effect.
- When desired color has been achieved, pour slowly pour over cake to ensure maximum coverage.
- Spread around sides to completely cover cake. Top with silver pixie dust for additional shimmer