With temps reaching 80 degrees this past weekend, summer is definitely upon us. So with those seasonal bods in mind, London and I decided to turn Sunday Funday into a grocery shop and meal prep kind of day (not without a little bit of rosé of course).
Trying to find inspo, we sorted through the Buzzfeed Clean Eating Challenge (circa 2014) for recipes to make (and not necessarily switch up) for the week. I am the type of person that can eat the same thing for days on end (I think 2 weeks is my max). So for me, this creates 100% ease and complete use of groceries. This week our goal with no dairy and no gluten. See below —
This week’s menu:
Breakfast – Overnight Oats with Strawberries and Chia Seeds
Lunch – Asian Chicken Salad with Tamari Lime Vinaigrette
Snack 2 – Lemony avocado (see here)
Dinner – Shaved Asparagus Salad Saute with Fried Egg
Overnight Oats with Strawberries and Chia Seeds
1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 scoop vanilla Perfect Fit protein powder
1 Tbsp. chia seeds
1/2 cup strawberries, chopped
- Combine all ingredients (except for strawberries) in a mason jar.
- Cover and shake.
- Top with strawberries and refrigerate overnight.
Asian Chicken Salad with Tamari Lime Vinaigrette
Inspired by Buzzfeed Clean Eating Challenge
1-2 handfuls of baby spinach
1 handful shredded green cabbage
1 handful shredded carrots
1 persian cucumber, sliced
1/2 avocado, cubed
2 pinches of unsalted, roasted slivered almonds
1/4 rotiserrie chicken, shredded
3 tablespoons Big Batch Lime Vinaigrette (see recipe below)
1 teaspoon tamari
- Layer spinach, cabbage, carrots, avocado, chicken and almonds.
- Combine vinaigrette and tamari in a mixing bowl and whisk together to combine.
- Add dressing to the salad when ready to serve.
This salad is made easily with pretty much pre-prepped ingredients at Trader Joes!
Big Batch Lime Vinaigrette
via Buzzfeed Clean Eating Challenge
Makes 1/3 cup
juice of 2 limes, strained (about 1/4 cup)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon honey
1/4 cup olive oil
- In a small mixing bowl, combine lime juice, salt, and honey.
- Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while vigorously whisking the mixture with a small whisk.
- Whisk for an additional 30 seconds after all of the oil has been added.
- Vinaigrette will keep up to 5 days, refrigerated in an airtight container.
We originally came up with this idea for a savory breakfast option, but then decided it would be much easier to execute at night. Inspiration came from Gwyneth Paltrow’s Kale and Quinoa Breakfast Bowl and this Buzzfeed Shaved Asparagus Salad with Fried Egg.
Shaved Asparagus Salad Saute with Fried Egg
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
1/2 bunch green asparagus (about 8 medium stalks)
2 cups arugula
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt and pepper
- Trim the asparagus. Then, starting from the root end, use a vegetable peeler to shave the asparagus into thin ribbons (should yield about a cup).*
- Head olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until al dente. Add asparagus ribbons and cook for around 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer mushrooms and asparagus mixture to a medium mixing bowl. Add arugula and lemon juice.
- In the same skillet, add a little more olive oil and heat over medium heat. Crack the egg into the pan and cook until the edges start to brown.
- Transfer the asparagus salad to a bowl and top with the fried egg.
Option to add cooked grain (quinoa, rice, farro, etc.) to increase the heartiness of this dish.
*I didn’t have the right vegetable peeler so I gave up on that and ended up just chopping the asaparagus into chunks.